.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Auto Ramblings

The

Friday, March 10, 2006

Auto Detailing

By Lloyd Frazier

It has been some time since my last post. Unfortunately, my full-time career as a software support consultant has been keeping me very busy and it has been hard to find the time to keep my blog current. That doesn’t keep me from thinking about cars, though! In the past 3 years, I have taken on a professional pastime – Auto Detailing. You would be surprised at what is involved in properly caring for your car, truck, SUV, RV or even boat. I suggest you visit MobileWorks.com for all the information you could ever want to find to learn “more about it.” Automobile detailing has become quite the science over the last decade. Automobile materials and finishes have changed significantly over that same decade. The paint, plastics, fabrics and electronics are totally different. The misconception that you no longer need to apply a protective layer such as wax or sealant on your new car is totally wrong. Paint technology has come a long way since the old single-stage days. You still need that sacrificial layer over your clear coat to prevent environmental damage from sun, birds, insects, pollutants, and on and on.

I have always loved spending time on my cars on the weekends, so I guess I was a closet detailer and didn’t even know it. I finally decided in 2004 to learn how to professionally do what I love. I enrolled in a weekend auto detailer training in the Pittsburgh, PA area. I was amazed at all the chemicals available to get the job done right. I decided right then that I wanted to pursue automobile detailing as an entrepreneurial venture. If you really want to pursue auto detailing as a profession, it is highly advisable that you start with some training from professionals. You will find many choices available at MobileWorks.com. The next step is to join an association. As you may have noticed, you will see a PDTA icon on this blog page. I joined the Professional Detailing Technicians Association (PDTA) so that I had exposure to as many experts in the field as I possibly could. There are many benefits to joining a professional association. To find out more visit the PDTA website at detailersassociation.com. The next step is to start marketing your new business. There are many add-on services you can provide like paint chip repair, windshield repair, interior repair, headlight lens restoration, etc. MobileWorks has many vendor listings that help you decide.

Auto Detailing isn’t for everybody. You have to have a passion for it to really make it work. There are so many opportunities in the automotive field. I don’t know the total count of all the vehicles in the U.S., but in numbers in the hundreds of millions. That is a lot of opportunity. In my future posts, I am going to start introducing you to the wonderful world of car care. It is a multi-billion dollar industry. I will try to find the newest and latest products and add-ons available. Keep coming back for more.

Lloyd, signing out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home